Regular wine glasses are designed to stand up to a lot of use. Typically possessing thick glass, they’re easy to throw in the dishwasher with all your other dishware.
If you have some fine wine glasses, however, then you want to protect them and keep them looking their brilliant best. Special cleaning and maintenance tips will help your glassware stay clear and prevent them from damage.
- Avoid direct sunlight and exposure to extreme temperatures.
- Do not use hard or metal utensils to stir the drinks.
- Don’t place glassware in the microwave or freezer. Wash in the dishwasher only if the glasses are designated as dishwasher safe.
- For long-term storage, use bubble wrap or soft cloth rather than paper.
- Always use non-abrasive cleaners. To get rid of a stain on the glass, clean it with a lemon half or vinegar. Distilled water, rather than hard water, is better at preventing stains.
Generally, fine glasses are not meant to be put in the dishwasher. It’s best to hand wash them, and not only because they’re fragile. A dishwasher can erode the fine luster, or brilliance, of the glass. Use a non-abrasive cleaner and warm water to clean the glassware, and dry them with a lint-free cloth.
|Brittany Rowland researches new developments in Appliances, Kitchen and CE products features with a vigor to which few would aspire… but someone has to do it. See more about Brittany|
More Wine Articles
Wine connoisseurs are careful to store wines at specific temperatures depending on the type. Whites are generally chilled more than reds. Here’s a guide for the optimal storage temperatures for various wines … [more]
Many people buy and serve wine for social occasions: parties, holiday get-togethers, and nice dinners. They’re content just to have a handful of bottles at a time. Other people, though, are serious collectors who enjoy holding onto special bottles … [more]
Related Top 10 Lists
You may think that there’s not much to consider when it comes to wine glasses, just as long as they hold wine, but you’d be surprised. We looked at a number of factors as we compiled our list of best 10 wine glasses: 1. Durability, 2. Ease of … [more]
Wine coolers allow collectors to store bottles at just the right temperature so they last longer and are perfectly chilled when served. As we compiled the top 10 wine coolers, we considered several factors that set the top models apart from the … [more]
About the Author: