How important is Green Tech in Washing Machines and Dryers; Whirpool Asks, Surveys
The public is more attuned to energy saving measures than ever before, as a late 2008 survey conducted by Whirlpool shows. Surveying over 2000 people of all ages and demographics, Whirlpool made a number of surprising discoveries:
- 84% of respondents named energy, not time or water, as the most important factor in home appliance efficiency.
- 72% said they look for the Energy Star label on an appliance before making a purchase.
- Consumers want high efficiency appliances but were unaware that HE washers are available in both top loading and front loading styles.
- Respondents age 18 to 44 named an HE washer as their ideal laundry room choice, while consumers age 45 and up wanted ergonomically-friendly appliances. Hence why manufacturers are increasingly offering machines with pedestals and larger dials and buttons.
- More respondents who are married or previously married (61% and 64%, respectively) understand the benefits of eco-friendly appliances than younger, never-been-married consumers (51%).
The results may be surprising, but they’re encouraging, too. People today are generally more eco-conscious and willing to pay more for HE appliances. Now it’s up to manufacturers like Whirlpool to fully educate consumers about energy-saving methods so they can make the best informed choices.
|Brittany Rowland researches new developments in Appliances, Kitchen and CE products features with a vigor to which few would aspire… but someone has to do it. See more about Brittany|
Featured Washing Machine Articles
Preventing Mold and Mildew in Your Front Load Washer
Front load washers are increasingly favored for their energy efficiency and conservation, but there is one potential issue with them that most people are unaware of: the risk of mold and mildew. Because the machines use less water, some have trouble draining away all the … [more]
Putting Your Washer on a Pedestal
Front loaders have become a popular choice in recent years, but people quickly realized they need an easier way to load and unload the washers. Bending or kneeling down to pull out damp, heavy … [more]
What You Should Know About Washer Warranties
Most manufacturers of washing machines offer a one- year warranty, covering all parts and labor for the machine. After the first year, the warranty typically covers specific parts. When you’re buying a new washer, however, you’ll probably hear a sales pitch for … [more]
Related Top 10 Lists
Top 10 High Efficiency Washing Machines
More than ever before, people are looking for ways to conserve energy and water with their washing machines. Not only is it better for the environment, it’s also better for you each month when you pay the bills. Today all the major appliance brands are offering high efficiency (HE) washers, both front loaders and top loaders. The following … [more]
Top 10 Budget Washing Machines
Looking for a washing machine on a tight budget doesn’t mean you have sacrifice quality or efficiency. Generally top loaders are less expensive than front loaders, but there are models in both styles that offer high efficiency and good performance for a reasonable price. Here’s an overview of ten of the … [more]
Top 10 Dryers
As we looked at a variety of dryers to select our top 10 models, we looked for specific features that improve and enhance the drying performance, such as: 1. Moisture sensors that are gentle on fabrics and save energy costs, 2. Large capacity tubs, 3. Useful drying … [more]
Filed Under: Budget Washing Machines