5 Tips for Choosing an iPad Case
Choose a case that suits your user habits
- Are you a student or a professional that needs a slim, lightweight yet functional case for your iPad 2? Consider a folio-style case which opens like a book and automatically powers up the device. This style case typically folds back to form a stand for viewing media or comfortable typing.
- If, on the other hand, you use the iPad 2 for personal use and want something durable enough for fairly rough handling, then think about buying a model that encases the iPad in plastic, rubber, or a combination of the two. These cases are good at absorbing shocks and protecting the iPad from light bangs; they may or may not have protection for the screen.
Consider style as much as function
- The iPad 2 is a sleek, visually striking tool. You want a case that enhances and shows off those features. A folio case is usually slim and comes in high-quality materials like leather and suede.
- Of course, you can also select a clear plastic case that maintains the distinctive design of the Apple product.
Remember comfort when it comes to typing
- For students and professionals especially, a case that folds up into a slanted position for comfortable typing is a must.
- Some models, like the Targus Versavu Case & Stand, combines the iPad with a wireless Bluetooth keyboard, effectively turning the device into a fold-up laptop.
Look for sturdiness and stability in design
- Most iPad cases come with a stand-up feature that lets you view movies and other media without physically holding the device. Be sure that the case stands up without the risk of toppling over.
- The greater flexibility a case provides in viewing angles, the better.
Think about how much value the special features provide
- Folio-style cases should support sleep mode, turning the iPad off when you shut the case and preserving battery life. When you open the case, the iPad will spring to life automatically.
- Another must-have feature: easy access to all the ports and iPad features. You don’t want to have to remove the case to use the camera; there should be a hole for the camera and all other buttons and switches.
- Other convenient features which enhance the user’s experience include a holder for the stylus and an elastic arm band for easy carrying.
|Steve Holdgren is an engineer by trade and has worked for some of the largest energy related engineering firms in the world with his latest stint in Switzerland. He holds a degree is mechanical engineering… See more about Steve|
Featured iPad and Tablet Articles
Cosmos vs. Bluecell Stylus Pens
Styluses come in handy whether you’re using a tablet, smartphone, e-reader, or other device with a touchscreen. Some people even carry around their styluses to use on public ATMs or kiosks. A good stylus works on capacitive and resistive screens. … [more]
Resistive and Capacitive Touchscreens: Understanding the Difference
Most of our gadgets today feature touchscreens. We’ve long hand touchscreens on ATMs, supermarket check-out lines, and other public places. But you’ve probably noticed that the touchscreen on your smartphone or tablet works differently than the touchscreen … [more]
HDE AD-GCPD22-7C vs. Arkon IPM-TAB1: Comparing Two Tablet Stands
The 7-inch tablet stand and carrying case from HDE and the Arkon portable fold-up tablet stand are two popular options for viewing the iPad or other tablet in an upright position. The HDE stand also functions as a protective carrying case and … [more]
Waterproof iPad 2 Cases
As iPads and other tablets become more commonly used in our day-to-day activities, we need a reliable protective case that safeguards the iPad from water splashes. Whether you want to enjoy your tablet at the pool or beach, or you have a messy kid … [more]
More Top 10 Lists
Top 10 Tablets
Top 10 tablets for 2012 … [more]
Top 10 iPad and Tablet Accessories
Apple iPads and other tablets are all the rage, and owners are always looking for accessories that make the tablet experience even greater. We examined several accessories—from protective cases and stylus pens to card readers and cleaning cloths … [more]
Filed Under: Electronics • iPad Cases