You have a yard that requires a lot of work throughout the year. Raking, gathering, and bagging leaves is a tough, time-consuming task. A leaf blower can greatly aid you in your landscaping duties. Additionally, it’s useful for sweeping off patios, pool decks, and driveways quickly. I’m sure we’ve all had unexpected company over and wished we could make the walkway and front lawn look presentable at a moment’s notice.
If you’re considering buying a leaf blower, you have to decide if you want a gas, electric, or cordless version. Each kind has its pros and cons. It’s up to you to decide which kind best suits your yard’s needs.
Gas-operated leaf blowers are very powerful but they’ve gotten a bad rap over the years because of the smelly fumes they release and the hassle of mixing gas and oil to run them. However, modern gas blowers have gotten better at controlling their emissions, vibrations, and noise, making them a perfectly viable option.
- With no power cord, you have the freedom to move all over the yard. This is especially useful if your lawn is expansive.
- Gas blowers are typically very powerful, able to blast away all sorts of debris, including wet leaves.
- Gas blowers come with variable speeds, allowing you to tackle yard tasks both simple and complex.
- Backpack leaf blowers are available for the extra-large lawns so the user doesn’t get tired arms.
- As with any tool or appliance that runs on gas, you’ll be required to purchase fuel over the leaf blower’s lifespan.
- Gas blowers require regular maintenance, including the mixing of gas and oil in proper proportions.
- Some models are difficult to start up or have a complicated series of steps, including a fussy pull cord.
- Gas blowers are generally more expensive, heavier, and noisier than other types of blowers. Neighbors may complain about the racket, and some communities have noise regulations.
Electric leaf blowers are praised for being environmentally friendly because they don’t run on fuel or release emissions. They are an economical purchase, especially if you have a small yard. Electric models are still powerful machines.
- Electric leaf blowers are lightweight, sparing your arm and hand a lot of fatigue.
- They are easier to start than gas blowers: You just plug it in and go.
- There is less maintenance involved with electric models, and they don’t produce noise and air pollution.
- Many models come with vacuum and mulching attachments for versatility in lawn care.
- You are hampered by the power cord that electric blowers need in order to run. If you have a large yard, maneuvering the cord could be a nuisance.
- As with any appliance that runs on electricity, there is always the slim possibility of an electrical shock.
Cordless leaf blowers seek to find a compromise between gas blowers, which have the greatest mobility, and electric blowers, which are lightweight and don’t require fuel. Cordless blowers are ideal for families with small yards who need a blower for only light tasks like sweeping off decks and sidewalks.
- As with a gas blower, you are unimpeded by a cord with a cordless blower. Provided the battery lasts long enough, you can cover your whole yard.
- Cordless models are generally compact and lightweight, making them easy to wield for extended periods of time.
- They are not as powerful as gas or electric blowers and are best suited to light tasks.
- Cordless blowers have a limited battery life. The higher the speed, the shorter the battery lasts. Again, if you have a small yard, this shouldn’t be a big issue, but you don’t want to try covering a large property with a cordless blower because it lasts only so long on a single charge.
|Brittany Rowland researches new developments in Appliances, Kitchen and CE products features with a vigor to which few would aspire… but someone has to do it. See more about Brittany|
Related Top 10 Lists
The best leaf blowers, be they gas, electric, or cordless, must be effective at blasting away leaves, twigs, and other lawn debris. We looked for a number of factors when selecting the top 10 leaf blowers: Easy to start up, Powerful engine with high air speeds, Durable mulching blades… [more]